Re: Acceptable salary levels

Subject: Re: Acceptable salary levels
From: "Sandy, Corinne" <CHS8 -at- CPSOD1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 10:30:00 EST

Low salaries in your area for tech writers.

Well, I would say the tech writers are not putting their collective feet
down then. The Atlanta Journal Constitution on Monday had an article
saying tech writing was number 6 in the area of job growth and career
opportunity (which means higher paying). If you can't get it there, do
what I did. Move! From Chicago (a saturated area with too many people
looking for work and not enough jobs available) to Atlanta where I was able
to find a tw position in 4 months (I had been out of the field for 4 years!)
and am now possibly going to a new position that will pay me 6K more than
I'm making now! Good luck. Do what it takes, but don't settle for
less.

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Acceptable salary levels
Date: Tuesday, January 10, 1995 12:55PM

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 12:55:48 PST
Sender: "Technical Writers List; for all Technical Communication issues"

From: "Elizabeth A. Kibler" <eak -at- SDSP -dot- MC -dot- XEROX -dot- COM>
Comments: To: TECHWR-L -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
content-length: 476
Bill Burns said:

What exactly IS acceptable pay for technical communicators?

I'd like to know this as well. I'm not asking anyone to divulge their own
salaries, but does anyone have information on typical salaries and
associated
job titles for the nation? for a particular region? Anything?

From what I'm hearing in my local area, the major companies are drastically
reducing their pay scales (and getting away with it).

I'd appreciate any input you can offer.

eak