ArborText and SGML: Thanks for the Information

Subject: ArborText and SGML: Thanks for the Information
From: "USA::MU17692" <MU17692%USA -dot- decnet -at- USAV01 -dot- GLAXO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 12:40:00 EST

Thank you to all of those who responded to my query about ArborText. Among
others, Chet Ensign provided this description:

ArborText is a company in Ann Arbor Michigan. They make a suite of SGML tools.
Their ADEPT editor is an SGML word processor. It runs on most UNIX platforms,
Windows and I believe OS/2. It is a pretty robust tool and most of the people I
know who use it, like it. It is said to be one of the better SGML tools as far
as creating WYSIWYG views of a document.

For more information, you can contact Norma Haakonstad at 313-996-3566. Her
email is njh -at- arbortext -dot- com -dot-

BTW, I was abhorred to hear an agency ask for a technical writer adept with
ArborText and offering only $12/hr (at most). However, Chris Benz did make a
valid point when he suggested that $12/hr is a good minimum wage for someone
in college or changing careers and looking for a way to break in to the
technical communication profession. However, call me paranoid, but I have
this feeling that these kind of wages drag down all of our pay scales.

And speaking of pay scales, anyone interested in how much technical
communicators get paid should download the salary survey from STC's ftp
site. It's at clark.net in the /pub/stc directory.

As the STC, Carolina Chapter job bank manager, I am willing to talk figures
with people. Contact me privately at uhl~m -at- glaxo -dot- com or mu17692 -at- glaxo -dot- com -dot-

-Mike Uhl (uhl~m -at- glaxo -dot- com)
Glaxo Inc, Research Institute
Research Triangle Park, NC