Re: Cloud? Firewall?

Subject: Re: Cloud? Firewall?
From: Elna -dot- Tymes -at- SYNTEX -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 10:37:54 PDT

In article <9500097896 -dot- AA789696203 -at- teomail -dot- jhuapl -dot- edu>,
<KnoxML1 -at- teomail -dot- jhuapl -dot- edu> writes:

> Core Internet--the cloud of computers connected directly to the Internet
> (i.e., not behind a firewall). These can access and deliver all Internet
> services....

> and also:

> Consumer Internet--the cloud of computers connected to the Internet
> through a firewall. These can access all Internet services, but, except
> for mail, cannot supply them.

> Is *cloud* of computers standard computer terminlogy? Does it mean a bunch of
> computers? What is a *firewall* in this context?

Both the terms "cloud" and "firewall" are not exactly standard computer
terminology, although "firewall" is more nearly so. Both are figurative terms
-- they describe approximations of concepts. A "cloud" of computers is a
collection that is constantly changing, more or less organized into a
recognizable mass, but capable of becoming un-organized at any time. A
"firewall" is a system that prevents damage - in this case, hackers bent on
breaching security and bringing down a system - from reaching the computers
that it serves. Think of the security systems some large LAN networks have in
place to prevent unauthorized access to their databases. These amount to
firewalls - you can get in if you have the right access, but you can't if you
don't.

I don't have the technical definition for "firewall," but I have had the
concept explained, particularly since we use one.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems