Re: Articles with Acronyms

Subject: Re: Articles with Acronyms
From: Nora Merhar <merhar -at- ALENA -dot- SWITCH -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 08:26:20 CST

Corinne,

I, too, use "a" before history, and I would suppose that that's standard usage.
But what about honor? Since the "h" isn't pronounced, I always use "an".
"It's a honor..." just doesn't seem to work, which is why I said before that
article use has more to do with the way a word or acronym is pronunced, rather
than how it's spelled.

I looked in my style guide for info about this--I couldn't find any. But I'm
betting that in places where "history" is pronounced "`istory", "an `istory"
is perfectly acceptable.

Nora
merhar -at- alena -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com