Re: Why Frame not Word?

Subject: Re: Why Frame not Word?
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 09:14:45 MST

> mikel -at- HUEY -dot- ACCUGRAPH -dot- COM noted:

>> Upper management in my company is exerting pressure for
>> the documentation people to jump on the Word bandwagon
>> and abandon our dearly beloved FrameMaker. I'm now
>> in the process of drafting a report on the advantages
>> of Frame and the disadvantages of Word.

And Ellen Adams responded with some great advice. Thanks, Ellen,
because I, too, may soon be facing a similar battle where I
work. We use Interleaf on a Sun network and have had this
technology for just under two years. Imagine this: we went from
using MultiMate Advantage II on PCs to Interleaf 5 on Suns. I
was one of the very few who picked up Interleaf fast (thanks to
my dabbling in desktop publishing at home). Even though the
entire workforce received training, they still struggle with it.
They were trained in using the software, but not in publishing
vice word processing concepts.

Oh, here's one to make anybody grit their teeth (or worse). They
set up the default font as Courier. Of course it is easily changed
once the document is created, but that's the mentality of the people I
get to deal with every day. (Not necessarily individual mentality,
but *Army* mentality).

Now, we get in a new commander who thinks Microsoft Word (and
the other MS Office products) is the best thing going and wants
to replace our lovely Suns and Interleaf with PCs and Microsoft
Word. This is still in the talk stage, and several people are
trying to convince him otherwise. However, because the majority
of the workforce has never really become comfortable with
Interleaf, I fear for the outcome.

Thanks for listening, everybody.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=