Re: music and learning

Subject: Re: music and learning
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 23:10:15 -0700

I briefly taught a creative writing class in one of the local high schools
several years ago. I found that the students seemed to write more
willingly and more productively when I played classics or instrumental
music with a light beat. I've always liked to study to this kind of music
myself, but had not come across Ostrander's theory about superlearning
before. This is interesting.

> Perhaps this ties into the "superlearning" theory (developed by Ostrander
> and someone else who's name I've forgotten). Anyway, a basic premise is
> that listening to classical music, especially baroque (Telemann is one
> of the best), enhances learning because the beat of the music (approx.
> one beat per second) harmonizes with your body's own rhythm. (I read
> the book many years ago, so I'm paraphrasing.)

> Lori Lathrop ----------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
> Lathrop Media Services, P.O. Box 808, Georgetown, CO 80444

RoMay Sitze A musician must make music, an artist must
rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu paint, a poet must write, if he is to be
ultimately at peace with himself.
-Abraham Maslow-