Use of filenames/pathways in docs.

Subject: Use of filenames/pathways in docs.
From: NCSU Virology Lab <virus -at- MBIO -dot- MBIO -dot- NCSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 16:49:36 GMT

I am writing two in-house documents for running two software packages
our organization uses, directed at instructing the user on how to
manipulate the packages as the company uses them. In writing this,
I have come into several instances where I must ask the user to
specify a filename and pathway. In many cases, the filename/pathway
information is variable, depending on which function the operator
wishes to use. Since these documents will be going into the Quality
Procedures Manual for an ISO-9002 registered company, the QC super-
visor is very interested in writing these instructions in proper
syntactical format.

Therefore, my question is this: What is the proper way to represent
a filename, pathway, etc. in written English? Is there an accepted,
standard format? If you know, please respond via email to this
address.

Thanks!
Harold E. Olivey, Jr.