Re: On-Line Help (Windows) Book?

Subject: Re: On-Line Help (Windows) Book?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 17:34:44 -0800

Dan Glovier writes:
> My company has just developed a Windows-based product (gasp!)
> that will require some on-line help documentation. We have decided
> to go with Doc-2-Help (the latest release).

> Question: Does anyone know of a good resource on styles for on-line
> help docs? The last barrage of mail on this subject didn't cover this
> subject (I think...).

For overall help in organization, etc., your best bet is Designing &
Writing Online Documentation, William K. Horton, John Wiley & Sons.

For conforming to Microsoft standards (whether you like them or not
because that's what your users will expect), consult the Microsoft
Developers CD-ROM in the "unsupported products" section. If you
can't find that, much of the information is duplicated in one of
the Visual Basic paper manuals.

For the most complete discussion of macro functionality and .rtf
codes, consult hag.hlp (Microsoft's help authoring guide help file).

Good Luck!
Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine, CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com