Re: Coming from the Other Side

Subject: Re: Coming from the Other Side
From: Laura Johnson <lauraj -at- CND -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 23:28:11 GMT

: : > Chuck Blessing wrote--
: : > I've just recently come over from the other side (systems
: : > analyst/programmer for ten years) and I am currently working on a user
: : > guide for a software system my company is developing.

I did this via an internal transfer from one HP division to another. I
had thought for a long time that tech writing sounded like fun, and I
was getting frustrated with my programming job. I happened to see an
internal posting for a writer to document very technical, developer-
focused material, in a network management division. I'd been doing
network test equipment. "Close enough," sez I, and here I am. This
was a "lateral" move for me: the writing job is on the same pay scale
as most HP programming jobs, which indicates that the Powers That Be
know this is tough stuff to document. ;-> I've been here for a year
and a half with no regrets worth mentioning.
--
Laura Johnson
lauraj -at- fc -dot- hp -dot- com