Re: "An" before "h"

Subject: Re: "An" before "h"
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 16:58:00 -0500

The people who write "an historic occasion" would never write
"an history book," because there the "h" is on an accented
syllable. However, they would write "an hysterical reaction"
and "an horrific scene."

The thing that bothers me about that is when I read it, it forces me to drop the
'h,' as in "an istoric occasion."

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24