Re: Handling revisions

Subject: Re: Handling revisions
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 15:14:21 -0600

> I'm looking for advice on the best way to handle documentation revisions. I'm
> working on a software development project. We currently release updates every
> month or so.

Been there. Done that. Gave up trying. With paper that is. We also
deal with monthly to bi-monthly updates. Trying to inventory everything,
keep manuals/release notes up to date, and getting a decent set of
documentation out to customers was a nightmare. I essentially decided
to put any and all volitile information online, and reduce our manuals
to the bare essentials -- getting started, installation, basic procedures.

Overall, this should cut costs, and allow us to keep the information
more correct. This is only because we bypass any inventory problems.
And, we can control which help file gets installed with the product,
eliminating the other problem: users see one thing on screen and another
on paper.

I'll let you all know just how big of a success/failure this turns out to
be.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?