Re: Can Online Documentation be Used to Increase the Usability of Nuts-and-Bolts HARDware Documentation?

Subject: Re: Can Online Documentation be Used to Increase the Usability of Nuts-and-Bolts HARDware Documentation?
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 10:34:42 -0600

Folks:

I'm writing in response to Bob Lord's questions about on-line
documentation for hardware.

Five years or so ago, an Army civilian gave a presentation to the Quad
Cities chapter of the STC about his work with on-line documentation for
Army hardware (tanks, jeeps, howitzers, etc.) His goal was to make it
possible to put all documentation, including rifle field-cleaning
instructions, on line in a usable form. He was doing some impressive
things with laptops, portable displays, and so forth. Unfortunately, I
can't remember his name and I no longer live in the Quad Cities. However,
if you can make some kind of connection to the Rock Island Arsenal, Rock
Island, IL I'm sure they could be helpful.

I also know that Boeing has done a great deal of work in this area. I
seem to remember reading that they aren't even producing printed documents
for the 767, because the print would fill a cube bigger than the plane, or
something like that. Again, I don't have a specific name or address, but
if you could make contact with some Boeing writers, they might be able to
help.

Finally, there are people here (Pioneer Hi-Bred) who have extensive
experience with portable, voice-activated computing systems that display
information on a personal, "virtual screen" for hands-free operation.
We're using it as a better way to track warehouse information. We
developed this as an application, not an information delivery system, but
it may be a system with some interest for you.

Sorry I can't be more specific; good luck in your search.

Skoal,

Doug "Praise not the day until evening has
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com come; a woman until she is burnt; a
a sword until it has been tried; a
maiden until she is married; ice
until it has been crossed; beer until
it has been drunk."

--Viking Proverb

The preceding opinions and positions are mine alone, and are only
coincidentally related to those of Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.