Re: Resumes & writing samples

Subject: Re: Resumes & writing samples
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 10:02:04 -0800

Shelly La Rock asks:

> I'm thoroughly enjoying the resume conversation,
> since I am a soon-to-be-graduated tech writer. Like most
> seniors, I am in the process of sending out resumes and
> cover letters to as many people I can find to read them.
[snip]>
> I'd appreciate any advice on this matter. I don't know if
> I should just send resumes and cover letters, or if that
> would be a waste of time for both the employer and myself.
> I always bring a number of writing samples to job interviews,
> and I do mail all of my samples when a company specifically
> asks for them. My question is this: how many of you who
> are in charge of hiring would give a tech writer's resume
> a second thought if there weren't any writing samples included?

As long as the resume and cover letter are both well done
and present you in your best light, I don't think you
need to send samples out with them. I generally don't
ask for samples until the interview (then I want to know
all about them, but that's a different story).

Busy people don't want to wade through a lot of info.
Just tell 'em what they need to know... That you're good,
and that you're available. If they're interested, they'll
bite. If they're not, you only lost $.32.

And, while we're on the subject, here's a thought...

You can always tell a student's resume because they
put education first (FWIW)

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine, CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com