Re: Resume Design Principles

Subject: Re: Resume Design Principles
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 10:00:23 -0700

Mike Uhl suggests sharing ideas on writing resumes. Among other things,
Mike wrote:
> 2. Use a summary at the beginning of your resume.
> Keep it brief. A half page is way too long.

I've not seen a summary used so am uncertain as to what it should include.
Could you expand on this a bit?

I liked the other ideas expressed and think this is worth further
discussion.

Here are a couple of suggestions that I have found useful:

1. Enter information into tables to line up contents efficiently. I use
one column for headings; one for schools attended (with degrees), jobs
held, and so on; and one for dates. Since paragraph styles can be applied
to each cell individually if desired, this eliminates many problems with
tabbing and other spacing considerations.

2. Since we do not all have the same amount of experience, it's a good
idea to look carefully at what we want to emphasize--work experience,
skills, education--and structure the resume to focus on our strengths.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

You can't solve a problem unless you first admit you have one.
--Harvey Mackay in _Swim with the Sharks_