Re: "either"

Subject: Re: "either"
From: "Frank Saucier [Tech Pub]" <frank_saucier -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:39:53 -0500

Here's my 2.9 cents. Infalation you know

I probably would have written the sentence as:

An entry can be an alphanumeric string, such as a username or password,
or a preset string, such as "ensbled" or "disabled".

Talk amongst yourselves.

Frank

--- Forwarded mail from "Technical Writers List; for all Technical
Communication
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 17:44:44 -0500
From: "Osmundo R. Fernandez" <fernao -at- RPI -dot- EDU>
Subject: "either"

The following sentence has caused some debate among my fellow writers:

"Entries either are alphanumeric strings, such as usernames or passwords; or a

hoice between several preset strings, such as enabled or disabled."

The debate stems from the placement of the word "either." I believe that the
sen
tence reads better as follows:

"Entries are either alphanumeric strings...."

What's more important grammatical exactness or readability?

P.S. I met with the "populate" argument from last week. Thanks for all your
grea
t comments. I've saved and printed all of them. :-)

Ray

--- End of forwarded mail from "Technical Writers List; for all Technical
Communication issues" <TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu>

| FRANK SAUCIER | |
| Mentor Graphics Corp. | Hippity-Hops and stairs don't mix. |
| fsaucier -at- warren -dot- mentorg -dot- com | |