Re: e-mail or email?

Subject: Re: e-mail or email?
From: Timothy McGee <mcgeet -at- COLUMBIA -dot- DSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 09:08:20 LCL

> If the trend went toward omitting the hyphen (email), I would
> probably be able to live with that. But I see no logical reason
> at all for capitalizing any part of it (unless of course it
> begins a sentence, in which case the e would be capitalized).

The trend will, most likely, be toward omitting the hyphen for the same reason
that "high school" became "high-school" became "highschool." As a neologism,
"e-mail" began in phase two of the normal progression, and may, because of
accelerated use, achieve the normal final phase of "email" at an accelerated
pace.

Tim McGee (probable once MacGee, once Mac Gee)