Re: Seeking advice on understanding the Internet

Subject: Re: Seeking advice on understanding the Internet
From: Martin WHEELER <mwheeler -at- STARTEXT -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 1995 01:48:27 GMT

[Elizabeth A. Kidler] (eak -at- sdsp -dot- mc -dot- xerox -dot- com) writes:

> I would like to understand the Internet, WWW, Mosaic, etc., ...
> ... I've seen several books on these topics. Can anyone recommend one or
> two particularly helpful ones?

The following two are _excellent_.

Of the 6-dozen or so that have hit the shelves in the past few months,
these two stand out for clarity; depth _and_ breadth of knowledge;
sheer usefulness at any level of competence; and above all else
because they are HOW TO books, not just the usual run of WHAT's available.

1. The Internet Navigator (get the 2nd ed., just out)
Paul Gilster
John Wiley & Sons 1994
590 pp. USD 24.95 (GBP 21.95)
ISBN 0-471-05260-4 (paper)

An extremely useful all-round in-depth introduction to all things
Internet. Likely to become a classic reference.
If you can only afford one book, this should be it.

2. Finding it on the Internet
Paul Gilster
John Wiley & Sons 1994
300 pp. USD 19.95 (GBP 19.95)
ISBN 0-471-03857-1 (paper)

The only book I know of which tells you HOW to develop your own search
methodology. Essential if you're doing any amount of serious research.

All opinions expressed are solely those of the writer.
I have no connection with either the publisher or author of these books.

--
Martin Wheeler - Managing Editor, StarTEXT Tel +44 (0)1242 52 32 31
mwheeler -at- startext -dot- demon -dot- co -dot- uk CHELTENHAM GL53 7PJ England