Re: full-text search in Windows Help

Subject: Re: full-text search in Windows Help
From: Glen Accardo <glen -at- SOFTINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 10:07:26 -0600

> Also, since Winhelp doesn't have a full-text search feature in most
> incarnations, I'd doubly argue for making that search list as exhaustive as
> possible. It is one of the key weaknesses of Winhelp and anything that you can
> do to extend or enhance that search list helps your readers in the long run.

This isn't quite true. It does. Microsoft provides very good support for
full-text search in Windows help files. The Winhelp FAQ shows how to do it,
with a few not-so-great instructions, but hey.... It'll take about a day
to use those instructions to add integrated, multi-help-file, full-text
search to your help files. I'm working on a better set of instructions, but
it'll be at least another week before I'm done.

The downside to this beast is the legal BS in distributing the DLLs required.
While anyone can ftp them from ftp.microsoft.com, they ain't public domain,
and you can't give them away with your application, unless you are part
of the MSDN, but even then, I'm not all together certain of the legal issues.

You can ftp the WinHelp FAQ from 198.91.36.126 in the /pub/winhelp directory.
I'll post the relevant portion for those interested.

glen accardo glen -at- softint -dot- com
Software Interfaces, Inc. (713) 492-0707 x122
Houston, TX 77084

Did the Corinthians ever write back?