Book recommendation

Subject: Book recommendation
From: Tammy Hale <tammyh -at- FGM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 00:13:55 -0500

To all tech writers:

This is not an advertisement. I would like to recommend two books I
recently enjoyed:

_The Well Tempered Sentence *A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the
Eager and the Doomed*_

and

_The Transitive Vampire *A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager,
and the Doomed*_.

Both books are by Karen Elizabeth Gordon. Ms. Gordon writes interesting
examples to support her instructions regarding punctuation and grammar.

On where to place a comma in a sentence, she gives the example:

"You crossed my mind, but you didn't stay there."

And--

"You have no idea how happy I am, and furthermore, I'm not about to give
you one."

On how to use exclamation points:

"And don't you dare set foot in my hearse ever again!"

And--

"How exciting to see you in traction again!"

One of my favorites from _Transitive..._ is an example of how to avoid
dangling infinitive phrases:

"To be ultimately satisfying, a tryst should be arranged to coincide with
several other transgressions as well."

Please let me know how you enjoy these books!

Happy reading,
Tammy
tammyh -at- fgm -dot- com