Re[2]: Mac files to PC

Subject: Re[2]: Mac files to PC
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 13:21:00 -0500

Looks like I need to clear up some public misconceptions.

1) Export your Mac word files as RTF (Rich Text Format).

No need, as Win Word reads Mac Word format, and vice versa.

2) Find a Mac with a superdrive installed (assuming yours doesn't have
one). Newer Macs should all have this capability. Plop a DOS formatted
disk in the drive. The icon should show up on the Mac desktop with "DOS"
on it.

The Classic Bill mentioned has a Superdrive, AKA FDHD, so no need to hunt. But
the mere existence of the drive doesn't give you the ability to mount the DOS
disk on the desktop. For that you need an extra utility, such as Macintosh/PC
exchange, DOS Mounter, Access PC, etc. System 7.5 ships with Mac/PC Exchange,
which is why it might work with 7.5, but I'd be astonsihed if anyone was running
that on a Classic (rather like running WFW on an original AT -- sure it's
possible, but what's the utility in it?).

3) Drag and drop your RTF file onto the disk.

Or you Word Mac file. Or even use Word Mac to save a copy as a WinWord file. In
any of the three cases, it's a simple read at that point.

I doubt Bill's attempting to run Word 6 on the Classic, but incase anyone out
there is doing this on higher machines, Word 6 uses the same file format on both
platforms.