Re: paperless?

Subject: Re: paperless?
From: "Robert W. Jones" <shaka -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 14:49:59 -0800

Paper and electronic must pass the fitness test. Over 2 billion people
are with out computer technology, over 1 billion people can not read or
write, computer technology is not hindered in the world strictly because of
money but also because of education, supporting infastructure (there are
plenty of places on this planet where electric power is in short supply),
custom and yes many governments (who do not want their people to get
their hands on computer technology). A maker of lawn mowers will
not pack a CD-ROM or computer disk with each mower
shipment (the printing costs of a lawn mower user guide is lower than the
cost of making a CD-ROM) because it does not fit his or her customer
needs. I am sure most customers do not own computers or would prefer
a booklet for assembly of said lawn mower. AT&T prefers to use computer
systems for billing because it is cheaper as to cost and more efficent than
a paper based system.