Re: User vs. Reference

Subject: Re: User vs. Reference
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 1995 13:25:23 -0800

Tammy Sudol writes:

> We're currently in the process of creating standards within my company.
> I'd like to hear the list members' opinions on what the differences
> are between user and reference manuals. Currently, each person has
> a different opinion on what information is contained in each and how
> the information is structured.

I've always thought of user manuals as being task oriented
and reference manuals as being program oriented -- so the
user manual would describe procedures (steps), the reference
manual would describe each menu item, dialog box control,
programming statement, etc.

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com