Re: equipment standard?

Subject: Re: equipment standard?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 15:53:38 -0800

Rebecca Filardo asks:

> I was wondering what kind of hardware most people on this list use.
> I am having enormous trouble persuading my boss that the equipment I
> have is not adequate for what he is expecting me to do.
> I have a 486, 33MHz, 8Meg PC with 14" screen, which doesn't print and
> gets very slow when I have more than one package open - which is often
> necessary.

And I think my machine is totally inadequate! Poor baby! Don't
stop complaining until you get an upgrade -- and count the number
of times you need to reboot in a day!!!

I have a pentium/60 with 40 megs of RAM and a gig hard drive. I'm
due to get a CD-ROM drive next week. But the video card is on the
motherboard and it only has a meg of VRAM so I'm always running out
of GDI resources. And I don't have a sound card, which is really
slowing down my multimedia research! But I do have a 17" monitor
that I keep at SVGA resolution.

I don't know about the rest of you... but I open up Adobe, Corel,
Paintbrush, Word6, and Frame and my machine is on its knees!!!
There's no room at all to run the program I'm actually supposed
to be documenting -- especially if it's an integration and I
need to run VC++ or PowerBuilder as well as Versions!
Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com