-No Subject-

Subject: -No Subject-
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 12:00:45 EDT

Rebecca Filardo writes:

<--I was wondering what kind of hardware most people on this list use.
I am having enormous trouble persuading my boss that the equipment I
have is not adequate for what he is expecting me to do. -->

At my last job, I had a 486/25MHz. Dell with 16 Meg. RAM and a 110Meg. hard
drive. It had a standard 15" monitor. That machine was borderline for the work
I was doing, but nothing I couldn't live with.

Have you tried documenting the impact of that machine on your productivity? If
you keep detailed records of how long typical tasks take and break it down into
categories that distinguish between work that produces something of value and
work that doesn't, you may be able to make the case. Especially if you
extrapolate how those sames tasks would be done with the appropriate system.

Speaking as a manager, I can say that few people (me included) are happy with
anything less than state-of-the-art equipment. Someone in a management role has
to balance a limited number of $$$ against many competing demands. If employee
a tells me that he hates his PC and he could get his work done much faster
with a better machine, but his projects are getting done in a time frame I can
live with, I don't have much incentive to push for a new PC. But, if employee b
shows me that she could half the turn-around time on her projects with the
right equipment -- and that turn-around time matters to me, I've got some real
motivation to get her what she wants.

/chet
---
Chet Ensign