Re: <None>

Subject: Re: <None>
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 11:19:21 MST

Ed Hoornaert <Ed -dot- Hoornaert -at- VENTANA -dot- COM> wrote--
Personal preference, without consulting a reference: punctuation
_outside_ unless it goes with the quoted text. Otherwise there's
possible confusion in phrases like:

At the DOS prompt, type "C:".

If the period is inside the quotation marks, the user might type "C:."
Trivial example, I suppose, and perhaps better solved with devices other
than quotation marks, but you get the idea.
=====

You're right, Ed. When specifying text that the user must
duplicate in some way (i.e., type), the trend (according to
what I've seen in references and real life) is to avoid the
quotation marks altogether. Use bold or italic instead.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=