Re: Asking for your experiences with SGML

Subject: Re: Asking for your experiences with SGML
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- WORLD -dot- STD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 07:38:19 +0001

Chet,

The folks at the Superconducting Supercollider outside of Dallas showed
visitors from the STC conference the one practical reason I've seen for
using SGML. I know of theoretical successes, but my personal experience
is limited in this area. I will NOT go back to the days of
runoff/nroff/troff and other abortions perpetrated on tech writers in the
name of technical efficiency! There is a real payback to using SGML in
terms of portability and modularity, but without a WYSIWIG interface the
troops will revolt (and rightly so). The supercollider folks seemed to
have attained a workable sollution.

You might also try contacting Dr. John J. Abbott at NEC (I think) in the
Boston area. Find him in thte STC directory. He's one of the best
sources I know of, and a neat person, to boot.

Marguerite