Re[2]: Making it readable from the start

Subject: Re[2]: Making it readable from the start
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 08:40:19 CST

Hey Rosemarie, and all others who fail to acknowledge the folly of
*developers*, of any heritage, of any education, for any reason, who
edit sentences when they have been asked to review for technical
content. That's what Glen, myself, and many others have been trying
to communicate. This issue is absolutely central to our profession.

Your sensitivities are misplaced. Or, your ESL has failed you if you
did not comprehend the context of Glen's clear reference to who was
editing the sentences. If you are one of the grammar experts who feel
that content is not the primary objective, then just edit for English
and nothing else. To say it in another way: If your job is to edit
the English content given to you, then you are not the developer, and
you should not edit the technical content. Likewise, the developer
needs to leave the grammar to you and review for content only. Clear?

Flame-Out, no apologies owed.

Vince Putman | Avoid polishing the fire truck
putmv -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | while the building burns down!
713-647-7139 Houston, TX | Aka, Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation

Subject: Re: Making it readable from the start
Author: Rosemarie R Gaglione <rgaglion -at- FLUTE -dot- AIX -dot- CALPOLY -dot- EDU> at INTERNET_MAIL
Date: 2/7/95 3:14 PM

There are plenty of people whose first language is English who should not be
editing anything! The real issue is not about ESL, but whether or not a
particular individual is qualified to do editing work.

I think that Glen owes some very talented folks an apology.

Rosemarie Gaglione