Re: technical Writing Skills

Subject: Re: technical Writing Skills
From: Mean Green Dancing Machine <aahz -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 15:40:46 GMT

In article <Pine -dot- 3 -dot- 89 -dot- 9501302210 -dot- G27603-0100000 -at- shell02 -dot- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au>,
Geoffrey Marnell <gmarnell -at- ozemail -dot- com -dot- au> wrote:

>If you were the client (not the 'server'),
>would you prefer a technical whizz who could also write well, or a
>good writer who was also cluey in the technical realm? (Don't cheat and
>say both: you are asked, here, to RANK the two skills: writing expertise
>versus technical expertise.)

<grin> <drumroll, please> "It depends."

Normally, I'd say writing ability is more important. However, it can be
critically important to have a tech writer who really understands the
problem domain. In my first and only job as a tech writer, my ability
to program in C turned out to be crucial in writing the manual, in large
part because I was able to get the programmer to change the product
design in certain ways that made it easier to document.
--
--- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6
Androgynous kinky vanilla queer het

"First one back from the bathroom gets to be the bottom."