Re: Reading a draft "for content only"

Subject: Re: Reading a draft "for content only"
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 10:12:15 -0800

Marguerite writes...

> OK, Folks, here's my contribution. Whenever possible, I have another
> writer look it over for the silly typo-stuff that I'm too close to see. A
> friendly pair of eyes can catch such things before they damage your
> credibility with reviewers. ("If she doesn't know her own business, how
> can I trust her with my baby?") And I offer to return the favor. If
> you're the only writer in the group, find a friendly person who knows
> something about writing.

Good suggestion, for lots of reasons!

Because I've worked in companies that have not had dedicated
editorial staff for so long, I've come to rely on peer editing
for that ever-so-important reality check. A side benefit is
that it helps a writing team develop a consistent style because
we all edit our own particular pet peeves out of each other's
work. After a short while, it's hard to tell which writer
wrote what.

And when you're the only one, look for a friendly face in
tech support, or in QA, or even at the reception desk! You'd
be surprised where you'll find the interest, the time, the
inclination, and even the talent!

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com