Re: Reading a draft "for content only"

Subject: Re: Reading a draft "for content only"
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 15:03:00 EST

Yvonne DeGraw said:

>Unless you work in a mil-spec environment (not the ideal setup, IMHO),
>you don't need to prevent developers from spotting the occasional typo.
***

Right. The system automatically prevents them from doing so.

In a mil-spec environment, the people doing the technical review absolutely
should NOT be checking for grammar & typos. Their duties are clearly defined
as checking for technical content only. If you're editing, you should not be
validating, if you're validating you should not be editing. As I mentioned
in a previous posting, people get upset when you get these mixed.

Ironically, the mil-spec environment (although far from perfect) does solve
the problem that this thread discusses. If everyone's task is written down,
and clearly defined, then "grammar" reviews by the developers becomes a
rarity.

ISO 9000 may well do the same thing.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor