Re: Technical Writing Skills

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Skills
From: "David Blyth @second" <dsb -at- ALSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 13:58:55 PST

Matt Harmon said...

>Meaning no disrespect but, shouldn't a good technical writer be able to
>get around any aspects that make a product difficult to document?

_Any_ aspects that make a product difficult to document? Hmmm...

There was one release where I was in San Diego and all the product
engineeers were in the United Kingdom. Email couldn't handle my
document format, so we were snail mailing reviews across the Atlantic.
There weren't any specs, and I never had a chance to use the product.

I'm sure other Tech Writers have similar war stories. Yes, I finished
this release (Fed Exing 2,000 pages of final copy). But _any_ aspects?

>No-one ever said this job was easy--that's why tech writers are
>compensated as they are.

We are probably not fully compensated for our relative skill and
problem solving levels.

David (The Man) Blyth (dsb -at- thomsoft -dot- com)
Technical Writer
Thomson Software Products

My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer (but they should be).

Blodo Poa Maximus