Re: Filter Sources

Subject: Re: Filter Sources
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 22:43:09 -0500

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Harold Lichtin wrote:

> In particular, I'd like to find sources for the following converters or
filters:

> Ventura 4.1 to MS Word 6.0
> Ventura 4.1 to Frame 4
> Frame 4 to MS Word 6.0
> Frame 4 to RTF

> Does anyone out there know of a source for these filters or for filter
> technology in general? It can be commercial, shareware, or freeware,
> and I can FTP from the internet but cannot access WWW.

For anything related to FrameMaker, get a copy of "Frame Connections"
from Frame Technology (800-U4-FRAME). This is their resource guide to
3rd party vendors, consultants, etc. The have a section in the book on
filter resources.

Also, for Word, try the Microsoft Download Service BBS for the latest
filters, drivers, etc. The number is 206-936-6735.

Of course, sometimes you have to get creative... I recently had a problem
importing an AMIPro document into Frame4. Frame's current AP filter hung
half-way through the conversion process. So, I used MS-Word 6.0 to
import the AP document and export it in a format that Frame could handle:
MS-Word 2.0. To do this I had to download the AMIPro filter for Word.
It worked, and I didn't have to go back to the customer and ask for
another copy of the file or a copy of the file in ASCII or???

Dan Azlin ** Word Engineers, Technical Writing & Publishing **
dazlin -at- shore -dot- net ph/fax 508-921-8908
Beverly, MA