Sportscasters and language

Subject: Sportscasters and language
From: Vincent Reh <VincentR -at- SC -dot- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 08:42:00 EST

The discussion on "begging the question" makes me think of another possible
misuse of English. For the past few years, I've noticed that sportscasters
have begun to say, "The Toronto Maple Leafs are at home to the Buffalo
Sabres tonight....."

Aside from the 'Leafs" pluralization, why are teams at home "to" another
team? Shouldn't they be at home "with" the other team? Both US and
Canadien sportscasters use the "to" structure.

Maybe I'm behind the times on this. After all, I've also heard "most
winningest" and we've all heard of someone that "flied out" in the first.

Vince Reh
vincentr -at- sc -dot- harris -dot- com