Re: Tech Writer Compensation

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Compensation
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 13:02:21 -0800

Who said anything "fliers" and bake sales?

How about a new and improved answer that addresses the point?

jb
===========================
> Why not get as much? Producing brochures is only a different area of
> expertise, yes?

Yes, but if I was producing a brochure or flier for the Physics
department at Michigan Tech announcing their bake sale, I don't
think I would expect to get paid as much as if I was writing the
API manual for a software system like I did this summer.

Perhaps it not really a matter of how much the pay is, but rather
how long it takes. A bake sale flier would take me maybe an hour.
I worked on the API manual and other manuals all summer.

That's my (new & improved) answer and I'm sticking with it. <grin>

Shelly
smlarock -at- mtu -dot- edu