Spelling words in an interview

Subject: Spelling words in an interview
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 16:46:10 EST

Text item: Text_1

Rosie asks:

> Was anyone ever asked to spell words in an interview?

In the December issue of _The Editorial Eye_, Catherine Fishel writes,
"...the editor-in-chief greeted me in a friendly enough manner,
invited me to sit down, and immediately asked me to spell
*rhinoceros*. I know now that he was testing my nerves as much as my
ability to spell, but even today, several lifetimes later, the
unfairness of that test still rankles. ...the editor learned nothing
about my abilities. A thorough proofreading or copyediting test would
have been more revealing--and fairer."

So true--that is quite a ridiculous test!

-kelly