Re: freelancing

Subject: Re: freelancing
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 18:16:00 PST

================
================
>Does the above strike anyone else as "risky". I've known several companies
>that will absolutely not use a contractor who was an employee because the IRS
>will maintain that :"if the contractor (or any contractor) is doing the exact
>same thing they did as an employee (or that any other employee is doing), the
>"contractor" is not doing anything unique and is therefore an employee. i.e.
>pay IRS back taxes etc.

>==============
>I still haven't incorporated, and according to my lawyer and accountant,
>it isn't necessary. I'm going to check into it again this year to see if
>it's worth it for me yet. It costs about $500 to incorporate, but
>involves additional paperwork; I have to see if the benefits are worth
>the costs.
================
From everything I've heard, incorporating may make some employers feel
better about hiring a contractor, but incorporation does notthing for the
contractor from a tax standpoint.

Barb - glad things are working out for you. Continued good business!

Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius