Re: Left hand side

Subject: Re: Left hand side
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 19:42:44 MST

Just a big "thank you" to Sue Gallagher. Her message gave me the
biggest laugh I've had all day. I was laughing so hard that my
husband came into the room to ask me what the heck was so funny.

Thanks.

=====Sue's msg:
[snip]
I like this thread! It's comforting to know that I'm not
the only directionally-impared tech writer in the world! ;-)

Once, when I was teaching a word processing class, I got so
disoriented using the cursor arrow keys I had to write "left"
and "right" in the appropriate corners of the white board to
use as reference!

But I;m even more confused now! How could the left-hand side
of the cabinet be on your right hand side when the cabinet
doesn't have hands so the hands the instructions are referring
to must be yours (or do they belong to the guy standing behind
the cabinet)???

Usually, when I write book instructions, I say "on the left
side of the screen" or "in the left-most column of the table"(never
considered using "hands"). From this discussion, it's hard to
argue that including the word "hand" helps to make things
clearer %-)

If this is an assembly instruction, maybe a note at the beginning
that says you mean the assembler's left and right, not the unit's
left and right???

OK, I'll be quiet now...

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA