Re: Questions that are not questions

Subject: Re: Questions that are not questions
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 11:34:33 MST

Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL> wrote--

** QUESTION: Would declarative sentences be OK?
ANSWER: Maybe so, if you reduce "QUESTION" to "Q", and "ANSWER" to "A".

Q: Ah yes, I've seen that in printed interviews.
A: And you see it in transcripts of press conferences too.

Q: Does the first pair need to be fully spelled out as
"QUESTION" and "ANSWER"?
A: In my opinion, the initial spelling-out is not absolutely
necessary but nice if possible.

Q: But then at least the sentence that gets the full word "QUESTION"
labelling it should be a real question.
A: I think so. And the one that gets the full word "ANSWER" should
be a real answer...
This is interesting, Mark. Yes, I have seen this method used in
interviews before (although that style is being replaced by
using the interviewer's/interviewee's initials in place of Q/A.
The initials are much easier to follow, IMO).

Interesting that reducing a word to its initial would alter the
original meaning of the word. Hmmm...

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=