Re: technical Writing Skills

Subject: Re: technical Writing Skills
From: Ron Miller <RSMH -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 17:28:05 -0500

I graduated in 1981 with a degree in English/Journalism, never having touched
a computer. In 1984, I got a job with a consulting firm that used a HP 3000
mini computer; I learned how to use it, and a year later when we switched to
PCs, I became even more interested.

Eventually, I was promoted to run my department, and I setup a desktop
publishing network. I had to write a manual for my staff explaining how to
transfer files between the different systems we had in place (Our old Wang
word processor and the newer PC and Macintosh). I enjoyed writing the manual,
and finally moved into technical writing in 1988.

So the person who has a computer science minor, more than 10 years into the
PC revolution, can certainly become a tech writer. As long as you have a good
writing skills, a reasonable technical aptitutde, and the ability to keep
learning (quickly); you should be able to become a tech writer.