Estimating (again)

Subject: Estimating (again)
From: Win Day <winday -at- CML -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 14:24:19 -0500

To: techwr-l -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu

John Anderson wrote:

JJ> In general, how do you estimate how long a technical writing project
JJ> (fx. writing a manual) is going to take?

JJ> Are there any industry-standard ways of measuring/estimating this?
JJ> Or any half-decent rules of thumb?

If you followed the thread a couple of weeks ago, I asked the same
question (sort of). I asked whether 5 hours per page seemed reasonable
as it seemed high to me. The responses I received ranged from 3 pages
per day to 10 hours per page!

Check out JoAnn Hackos' book, "Managing Your Documentation Projects"
(John Wiley & Sons, 1994). There's a lot of solid information about
estimating, tracking, etc. - all the stuff I used to do in engineering
but didn't know how to translate to technical writing.

Not only did I use her estimating procedures, I specified the manual's
contents to such a level of detail that it was relatively easy for me to
revise the project scope at my client's request. I HIGHLY recommend the
book.

* RM 1.3 * Eval Day 3 * RoboMail -- The next generation QWK compatible reader!