Re: Additional Technical Writing Opportunities?

Subject: Re: Additional Technical Writing Opportunities?
From: Toni Rizzo <Toni -dot- Rizzo -at- M -dot- CC -dot- UTAH -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 21:19:00 -0700

On Fri, 17 Feb 1995, Paul MacGyver Carman wrote:

> Greetings all!

> Have any of you started out as Technical Writers and then moved on
> to something less technical? If so, to what?

> I've run through the gamut of communication areas (Disc Jockey,
> magazine writing, PR, Technical Writing, Training), and I'm looking
> into new areas to explore. Like some of the people on the list, I
> have a light engineering background with a variety of liberal
> art skills.

> How about salaries for technical writers (that write for something
> other than computer hardware or software)?

> Heck, how about job ideas for technical people (but not necessarily
> in computer fields)?

> Your input is greatly appreciated!

> Please e-mail me at Paul -dot- Carman -at- harris -dot- com -dot-

> Thank you.
Paul -

How about medical or other scientific writing? I have written in a
variety of fields also, and still do computer documentation, but find I'm
most successful (financially and its fun!) as a medical writer. I do a
lot of training programs (paper and computer based) for pharmaceutical
and biotech companies, as well as articles for medical publications, FDA
documantation, etc. Of course, I have a medical background, but I know
several writers without medical (or any kind of science) backgrounds who
are successful in this field. If your interested, yuou could check out
the American Medical Writers Association - its a great group for
networking and education in this area. Email me if you'd like more info.

Toni Rizzo
Toni -dot- Rizzo -at- m -dot- cc -dot- utah -dot- ecu>