Justifying a Separate Existence

Subject: Justifying a Separate Existence
From: George Hayhoe <george -dot- hayhoe -at- SRS -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 07:41:00 -0400

My small software documentation team (which is currently part of the
software development organization) is about to be consolidated into
the company publications organization unless I can help my boss
persuade his boss otherwise.

I'd appreciate answers to the following questions from anyone on the
list who does software documentation. (Please respond directly to me
at the address below, not to the list.)

1. Where in the company is your team located (for example, in the
software development group, marketing group, company publications
group, etc.)?

2. What is the ratio of developers to documenters?

3. If your group has been consolidated, have there been any negative
effects on end users? any positive effects on end users?

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

--George Hayhoe (george -dot- hayhoe -at- srs -dot- gov)
Westinghouse Savannah River Company