Re: a few questions

Subject: Re: a few questions
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 12:56:14 MDT

Karen Kay said,

>>With all due respect, Brad, you are wrong.

I don't think he's COMPLETELY wrong here, especially when you are talking about
entry-level technical writing jobs. For the most part, the jobs I've seen
have pretty flexible requirements--one of a number of popular word-processing
programs, a DTP application or two, general knowledge of a certain OS. Many
of these companies are willing to hire people who are somewhat experienced
computer users with an aptitude and desire to expand their knowledge.

Granted, some positions have very specific needs. Others require more
generalized abilities. I think the REAL issue is what sort of positions
can an entry-level technical writer expect to land with knowledge in only a few
applications. The answer to that question (IMHO) is, "An entry-level position."
A recent graduate should expect and accept that factor and see it as a chance
to grow into the real world--to make the transition from theory to practice.

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * "Purgamentum init,
Micron Technology, Inc. * exit purgamentum."
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Henricus Barbatus