Re: A Few Questions

Subject: Re: A Few Questions
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 15:34:05 EST

Text item: Text_1

> With all due respect, Brad, you are wrong. At least in my
> experience. No one is interviewing *me* based on my willingness to
> learn.

What types of jobs are you applying for? To all students out there:
don't think too big at first. IMO, it is best to be humble at first,
"get a foot in the door" with a good company, and move on from there.
Once you show the company you work for that you are willing to learn,
are a *quick* learner, have a positive attitude, get along well with
others, are organized and efficient, etc., etc., THEN they will give
you a shot at the job you were looking for. You can't expect to be a
Sr. Tech Writer, or even to get the "good" tech writing jobs just
coming out of college. There is no replacement for "real world"
experience. Your skills (that you learned in college--software, etc.)
are but a fraction of the skills you will need in the "real
world"--see the above list; these are things that can't be taught in
college. Start out small and the rest will follow.

Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- smtpgw -dot- liebert -dot- com
Columbus, OH