Re: tools-how specific in a hardware manual

Subject: Re: tools-how specific in a hardware manual
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 13:55:57 -0800

From Kelly K...
> Finishing a hardware manual. My mgr want me to include specific tools
> in procedures.
[snip]>
> The mechanical engineers is against this. He can't guarantee what
> screw (or bolt or whatever) might be used in a given situation & the
> So, opinions? Experiences? Recommendations?

Well, Kelly... Never documented hardware myself, but sure
have read a number of repair manuals to my husband while
he disassembled and swore at the car (they run better if
you do this periodically). ;-) From my experience...

* If you include the specific tool the user will have a
better idea and grumble something like "Yea, that's
what they think"

* If the job can only be done with a special tool that
must be purchased from the manufacturer, the user will
grumble something like "Yea, and it probably costs
a hundred bucks" and then bend a wrench to do the
same job.

* If you list the tools required at the beginning, the user's
wife may have time to assemble them before the project
is 90% complete.

* If you say nothing about the tools required, nobody
will miss the information and you'll never be wrong.

Of course, we in the software industry would say we're
encouraging system exploration! ;-)

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com