Re: [Humor] Translations

Subject: Re: [Humor] Translations
From: marsha durham <m -dot- durham -at- UWS -dot- EDU -dot- AU>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 12:33:38 +1100

Many of the clangers in advertising that Bev Parks wrote about are in the
article, Interlingual Taboos in Advertising: How Not to Name Your
Product. This is by Reinhold Aman, who runs (or did run) Maledicta, a
Research Centre for Verbal AGression. He also published the Maledicta
journal, which offered taboo words, sexual slang etc from around the
world. His article is from an Ablex book, Linguistics and the
Professions, ed. Robert Di Pietro, printed in 1982.

Sometimes it's hard for English speakers to understand the problem in
translations. Aman provides an example the other way, a Japanese soft
drink marketed in California as CALPIS (just pronounce it and you'll hear
the problem in English). It was later remarketed as CAL-PIKO.