Re: What tools to learn

Subject: Re: What tools to learn
From: Judith Leetham <JUDITHL -at- WORDPERFECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 11:09:48 -0700

I don't have anything new to add to this thread except for personal
experience. I graduated in English in 1970 and have been working on,
with, or writing about computer software ever since. Two things have
changed over these many years:

The technology I am writing about
The tools I am using

Knowing how to effectively index has little to do with tools, knowing
principles of how people search for information does. And so on. I can't
even remember the names of all the various packages I have used. In
fact, some of them don't even exist anymore. Not knowing a tool has
never kept me from getting an interview or a job.

If you are planning on technical writing as a career, you should certainly
know "some" tools and what authoring technology is capable of, and
then be prepared to learn and adapt.

Judith Leetham, technical writer
WordPerfect, Novell Applications Group judithl -at- wordperfect -dot- com