Re: Help Tools

Subject: Re: Help Tools
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 13:28:32 CST

Hey Sue,

"Windows Tech Journal" is a Microsoft publication, right? Bet none of the
apps accept WPWIN, FrameMaker, etc. -- not even with some foreplay!!!

Vince Putman in Houston | Most people think new ideas are just
putmv -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | a criticism of the old ways!!
713-647-7223 FAX 579-7709| Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation

Subject: Help Tools
Author: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM> at INTERNET_MAIL
Date: 2/27/95 1:03 PM

For your info, the March 1995 issue of "Windows Tech Journal"
includes a review on six help-authoring tools. The six tools reviewed
are: RoboHelp 2.6, Doc-To-Help 1.6, HelpBreeze 1.6, ForeHelp 1.04,
Visual Help 2.1 and Help-Ease 1.3.

I've not yet had a chance to read the article, but if anyone is
looking at help authoring systems, this might give you some valuable
info. The summary at the end of the article did have these final
words:

- They liked WYSIWYG products best.
- They liked Visual Help because it was simple to use and moderately
priced.
- They thought ForeHelp (I'm not sure, doesn't the name of that
program sound a bit weird?) was really powerful and bug-free. This
looks like it won the standalone category.
- For addon products, they liked HelpBreeze.

I'm not going to include huge excerpts of the article via email, but
if anyone wants more info (such as info on how to contact the six
vendors), please let me know.

Good luck!
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com