Re: more about what tools to learn

Subject: Re: more about what tools to learn
From: RoseCrowe <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 10:56:01 -0700

On Sat, 25 Feb 1995, Jim Williams wrote:

> I'm wondering if your attitude is the exception rather than the rule. The
> few writers I have talked to so far told me that employers were looking for
> a big list of tools on a resume. The writers I talked to thought that being
> able to list a bunch of programs on their resume got them an interview,
> where they were then able to demonstrate that they could write.

I'm afraid this can be true, depending on whether the hiring manager
is familiar with the true job skills required or not. However, having
"one of each" is a good start. That is, one word processor, one desktop
publisher, one graphics program, etc. Thus you can demonstrate the
background knowledge necessary to learn a similar tool. When writing
a cover letter, stress that fact.

> This is something that I've wondered about. If somebody asks what
> experience I have using some program listed on my resume, how are employers
> going to respond if I have to admit that I just taught myself how to use
> them? If I'm applying for an entry-level job how can they expect me to
> have on-the-job experience using some tool?

Hmmm, I have found that an attitude of confidence in one's ability
to learn goes a long way, especially for tools where the skills are
more rare. In those cases, a person who demonstrates the initiative
to seek out knowledge in the new area can be quite impressive.

In general, I have been *happier* in jobs where my employers
wanted someone with real writing skills, and the tool skills were
a side issue. However, when you are breaking in, you might want
to take any job you can get... :-). In any case, try to play with
any available software in your environment.

List the software you have used in order of amount of experience.
If you had access to a piece of software, but didn't use it extensively
-- list it last. Then explain to your potential employer that you've
played with it enough to be confident in your ability to learn it. Cite
some facts about its interface that you noticed.

Please don't worry so much about those employers who don't know what
they want. You may not want to work for them anyway! Keep a confident
attitude in your abilities and keep sloughing through the application/
interview process. Someone out there is looking for a person of
your particular skills and experience. If you keep looking, you will
find the right job to start out on, and from then on, you will
continue to progress in your career, if you have determination and
initiative.

Good luck!

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
*******
"Half an hour's meditation is essential except
when you are very busy. Then a full hour is needed."
-St. Francis De Sales