Re: A Test to Select Competen...

Subject: Re: A Test to Select Competen...
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 09:17:14 PST

Ron Miller bristled about competency tests with:

> I really bristle when I read about "compentency" tests. I can't think of
> anything more insulting. If you want to know about my work, read my writing
> samples; that should show you how I write. If you don't like my writing,
> don't hire me, but don't try make jump through some technical writing hoop
> either.

Said tongue in cheek, but you misspelled "competency!" Don't hit me,
I just couldn't resist!!

> I'm sure most companies wouldn't consider having an engineer do a "test"
> design of a toaster before they hire him/her.

Actually, the programmers in our company, before they are hired and
during the "second" interview, are given a sample program to code.
I don't remember what it is specifically, but that is one of the key
"tests" (and yes, we do check to see whether they checked for divide
by zero).

Sue Heim
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com